ESG Roundtable Summary
Highlights of our inaugural ESG Research Roundtable with Rosenberg Equities, a discussion on diversity as a competitive advantage and the future of data.
Key research shared:
- How diversity can drive profitability
- How investors can benefit from new and emerging data sets
- How we reconcile the wide variety of ESG and ‘impact’ data that is now available to equity investors
The roundtable was very interactive and well attended by various members of the asset management industry, all of whom have a focus on ESG and its integration.
The discussion centred on two important areas:
- How diversity can preserve and drive future profitability - Kathryn McDonald, Head of Sustainable Investing:
Discussion started on our research that diversity provides a profitability moat to companies and helps them remain competitive over the long term. Given the importance of earnings’ quality we are always interested in ways we can better identify and predict measures of this key investment factor. Our research shows that gender diversity is closely associated with higher future profitability - a core ‘quality’ concept - and helps firms better withstand competitive forces. These results support the idea that going forward, diversity is not just a ‘nice to have’ but a ‘must have’.
- The future of data - Alexander Ions, Head of Alternative Data Research:
One area which has captured investors’ interest is the rapid rise of alternative data including Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) information. We highlighted several new types of data available to market participants, the various investment insights they bring and showed how we can use visualisation techniques to better understand relationships across data sets and their impact on client portfolios.
Main conclusions of the morning:
- Putting aside the question of morality, we find evidence that diversity is ‘economically correct’ in that it is associated with positive economic outcomes for companies.
- As investors, our interest in diversity, governance, and ESG generally is grounded in the relationships we have found between ESG concepts and the fundamental drivers of risk and reward in the equity market.
- Most importantly, for those of us committed to diversity in the workplace, these results support the idea that diversity is not just a ‘nice to have’; we believe it is instead a ‘must have’ in the face of intense market competition.
- New and emerging data sets that are now available to help measure ESG and ‘impact’ require through analysis before being included in investment decision making
- ESG is implemented across all of our Rosenberg Equities offerings
This communication is for professional clients only and must not be relied upon by retail clients. Circulation must be restricted accordingly.
This is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell any AXA Investment Managers group of companies’ (the Group) product or service. The views expressed do not constitute investment advice, do not necessarily represent the views of any company within the Group and may be subject to change without notice. Whilst every care is taken, no representation or warranty (including liability towards third parties), express or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the information contained herein.
This material is published for informational purposes only and is neither an offer to enter into, or a term or condition of any business or agreement with the recipient or any other party, nor is it a solicitation for any services, securities, or funds herein, nor is it intended to provide investment, tax, or legal advice. If this material refers to funds, investments made therein are subject to the relevant fund documents. This material is not intended for distribution to persons or in jurisdictions where prohibited. No representation is made that any of the services, securities, or funds herein are suitable for any particular investor, and therefore, any prospective investor should consult their financial or other advisors about the appropriateness thereof. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this material. Investments may decrease in value and that past or back tested performance is no guide to future performance.
Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of investments, and the income from them, can fall as well as rise and investors may not get back the amount originally invested.
Please note that references to “Rosenberg Equities” herein refer solely to an expertise of AXA Investment Managers and not a specific legal entity.
Issued by AXA Investment Managers UK Ltd registered in England No. 01431068 at 7 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7NX, and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
©2018 AXA Investment Managers. All rights reserved.